11.30.2007

Littrell takes a solo flight home

Backstreet Boy brings act to Lexington church
By Rich Copley
RCOPLEY@HERALD-LEADER.COM
Source:
Herald Leader

Brian Littrell's debut solo album is called Welcome Home, and the Backstreet Boy is bringing it home next week in his first Lexington concert as a solo artist.

"I'd deal with being in the Tokyo Dome in front of 55,000 people better than being at Immanuel Baptist, when it comes to a nervous standpoint," Littrell says, with a laugh. "I'm always a little nervous, but playing in front of your peers and smaller audiences is a little more intimidating."

Littrell has played Lexington before, as a member of the Backstreet Boys, the chart-topping act he's been with since 1993. But then, he was part of a quintet that included his cousin, Estill County native Kevin Richardson.

Thursday night at Immanuel Baptist Church, the focus will be on him. While there are those nerves, Littrell says its appropriate that he return to Lexington on his own as a contemporary Christian solo artist.

"This began many, many years ago with my love of contemporary Christian music and listening to Michael W. Smith and Sandi Patty and Larnelle Harris and singing in church as a little boy," Littrell says. "Little did I know I would be doing this for a living. I hoped and dreamed like everybody, but I couldn't really fathom all the blessings that have been given to me.

"I back up to 2006 in May when Welcome Home came out, because we talk about this being a homecoming, and it really is a homecoming process from start to finish for me," Littrell says. "The icing on the cake for me is getting to come home and play a large church in front of family and friends and sharing who I am as a solo artist."

Becoming a solo artist has meant balancing two separate recording careers. Thursday's concert comes in the midst of promotional events for Backstreet Boys' latest album, Unbreakable, which was released Oct. 30. It was the first album without Richardson, who left the band following its previous album and tour.

"It didn't really set in until we went into the studio," Littrell says of his cousin's departure. "When we all got back together and Kevin wasn't there, obviously it was a little strange to record as four. But you know, at the end of the day, there's no ill will towards Kevin from the group's side or from Kevin's side to the group."

In the studio, he says, "the focus was on the music and making the best CD that we could so the fans wouldn't miss anybody, vocally."

Littrell is close to heading back into the studio to record his second solo album. Asked if we may be hearing any new material at the concert next week, he said the songs are still works in progress, "but you may hear a story about one of the new songs."

In addition to material from Welcome Home, Littrell will be singing some of his favorite Christmas songs, and he'll be joined by the Immanuel Baptist Choir for some songs.

Littrell has found that life as a solo artist is more of a do-it-yourself proposition than working with the Backstreet Boys. Unlike traveling with the band, there's no entourage or staff to cater to his needs. That, he says, is fine.

"I like to know that I'm capable of doing those things because pop stars get a lot of things taken care of for them," Littrell says. "I like to know I'm independent and can handle my stuff."

Littrell also likes the format of his shows, where there's less pop and flash to distract from the music. With the solo effort, he says fans are getting to know him better, as a husband, father -- he and his wife Leighanne's son, Baylee, turns 5 on Monday -- and a Christian.

"What you'll find in the solo shows is it's just real music," Littrell says. "It's just me and my band rejoicing and happy doing what we're doing.

"I think the fans are attaching to what makes me tick and what makes me funny and what makes me happy and what makes me sad, and all these things."

No comments: