10.27.2008

Backstreet Boys sighting before Game 1

By KYLE KENDRICK
phillyBurbs.com

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — After we won Game 1 of the World Series, I texted some of my buddies, guys I grew up with back in Seattle.


“You won't believe this, the Backstreet Boys were here,” I told 'em.


I was standing on the third-base line at Tropicana Field with my teammates when they sang the national anthem. It was pretty exciting for me.


I'm only 24, and as a kid growing up near Seattle, boy bands were popular. I always thought the Backstreet Boys were the best out there, better than 'NSYNC. I was a freshman in high school when they came out with their big CD, and my buddies and I used to listen. The girls always thought they were cute and I liked their music. They were just good.


Years later, my musical tastes have expanded. I like some classic rock and a lot of country. I'm a big George Strait fan and I really like Carrie Underwood.


If I could meet any celebrity of my choice, it would be Carrie. I like her music and she's a very attractive girl. I'd love to meet her. My girlfriend would be OK with it. She likes Derek Jeter, which is fine, and I like Carrie.


If I ever do meet her, I'd ask her for an autograph.


I only have a few autographs — Mike Schmidt, Jim Palmer, Tim Hudson. My favorite pitcher now is Brandon Webb. I'd like to get his.


I still remember the first time someone asked me to sign something. When I was drafted by the Phillies during my senior year in high school in 2003, my science teacher, Mr. Sullivan, said “I want to get you now before anybody else does.” I signed a baseball for him.


Since then, my autograph has changed. I used to write my whole name, then last year someone suggested I should just shorten it to two Ks for my initials. I tried it and like it that way. Now I sign everything with two Ks.


I enjoy signing for fans. Last year, when first coming up to the Phillies from the minors, I noticed my teammate Jamie Moyer doing autographs all the time. I asked him why. He said, “I'm doing it now because someday they're not going to want it.” Ever since, I've tried to make an effort to sign more often.


Phillies pitcher Kyle Kendrick, an 11-game winner this season, is doing a World Series diary for Calkins Media as told to baseball writer Randy Miller.

SOURCE: phillyBurbs.com

No comments: