6.18.2008

Where the boys are

Lesley Mofokeng gets all nostalgic chatting to Backstreet Boy Brian Littrell.

Why are you still together as a boy band?

After a 15-year rollercoaster ride and plenty of hard work, we simply can’t stop. Our voices have created a magic that people are drawn to.


Which would you say was the best boy band of all time?

I’d go as far back as The Beatles, even though they didn’t call them boy bands then.


What has been the greatest threat to your music career?

I had open heart surgery 10 years ago and this was a great source of worry. In addition , the ’90s boy band explosion saturated the market and almost overshadowed our success.


You guys are a lot older now; would you change the band’s name?

The Backstreet Boys have created a brand through their sound and their name, so we’ll never change it.


Which musician’s poster have you got on your wall?

I’ve got Backstreet Boys posters on my studio walls. In my home there are pictures of my family, wife and son.


Is it easy for you being an evangelical Christian and an idolised sex symbol?

I don’t think it concerns me as I’m no longer 18. If anything, my life represents stability as I’m a father, a husband and a Backstreet Boy.


Whose CD are you buying — Usher or NeYo?

Usher is noted for his great material, production and style of performance. The same goes for NeYo, but I think I’ d always pick Usher first.


Why must one not miss your SA shows?

It will be our first live performance in South Africa with our band. The shows are also very high energy, with lots of dancing and moving, and we sing almost all the hits we’ve had in the past.


Littrell’s favourite tunes of all time

  • Get Low by NeYo.
  • Love In This Club by Usher.
  • Bleeding Love by Leona Lewis.
  • Stop and Stare by One Republic.
  • Don’t Know Why by Norah James.

  • SOURCE

    No comments: